Do I need a license to conduct any business in Windsor?

Yes. Everyone who falls within the definition of “engaged in business” in Windsor is required to obtain a Windsor Business License. This applies to all businesses who conduct retail or wholesale sales and to all businesses who only perform services to the public. Service-only businesses may include: daycare providers, physicians or dentists, bookkeepers, insurance agents, home healthcare providers, all therapists, pet sitters and groomers, cosmetologists and barbers, painters, roofers, contractors, construction companies, realtors, etc. The license is an annual license based on the calendar year.

“Engaged in Business” means performing or providing services, or selling, leasing, renting, delivering, installing or any activity in connection with the selling, leasing, renting, delivering, or installing in the Town of tangible personal property by a retail sale, for use, storage, distribution, or consumption within Windsor. This term includes, but shall not be limited to, the following acts or methods of transacting business:

(a) Maintaining within the Town, directly or indirectly or by a subsidiary, of an office, building, structure, store, distributing house, salesroom or a house, warehouse, mobile vendor, or other place of business;

(b) Maintaining within the Town an office for employees, agents, or commissioned sales persons to solicit business or to install, assemble, repair, service, or assist in the use of its products, or for demonstration or other reasons;

(c) Owning, leasing, renting, or otherwise exercising control over real or personal property within the Town;

(d) Making more than one (1) delivery into the Town within a twelve-month period;

(e) Mobile food vending.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a license to conduct any business in Windsor?
2. What type of license do I need before doing business in Windsor?
3. When is Retail Sales Tax or Use Tax exempt?