How do I get a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) inspection done?
1) If the vehicle is legal to drive (has a current license plate — even if from another state — or temporary plate, completely operable, etc.), you can bring the vehicle to the Police Department.
a) We will need you to bring some official paperwork with the VIN on it — the title, previous registration, bill of sale, insurance card, etc.
b) VIN inspections can be done at the Police Department on the following days and times:
Mondays: 8 – 10 a.m.
Wednesdays: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Fridays: 3 – 5 p.m.
These will be done on a first-come, first-served basis. No appointments will be scheduled.
2) If the vehicle is NOT legal to drive and you live, and the vehicle is located, within the town limits, our Code Enforcement officer can come to you to complete the inspection. You will need to call the Police Department Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 970-674-6400 to schedule this.
a) The Code Enforcement officer will need to see the above-referenced official paperwork at the time of the inspection.
3) If you are a town resident, there is no fee. If you are not a town resident, the fee is $15 (cash or check only).

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find the town's animal ordinances?
2. What are the Town of Windsor's parking regulations?
3. What are the Town of Windsor park rules?
4. What are the Town of Windsor Nuisance Codes?
5. How do I get my fingerprints taken?
6. How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
7. How do I get a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) inspection done?
8. What do I do if I am a victim of Identity Theft?
9. How can I protect my vehicle from auto theft?
10. What are the drug and alcohol laws?
11. What are the Fishing and Boating Regulations at Windsor Lake?
12. Where can I drive my moped / scooter / golf cart / ATV / MUV / EPAM in Windsor?
13. How do I register my bicycle?
14. What do I do if my pet goes missing?
15. Who should I call to report graffiti?