2020 Downtown Parking Study
Located five miles east of the I-25 corridor, Windsor’s historic downtown offers shopping, dining and a variety of outdoor events for the local community and northern Colorado. Windsor’s Downtown Development Authority (DDA) formed in 2011 to provide additional financial resources for investment in the Downtown district. In 2012, they conducted a parking study to get a clear understanding of parking in Windsor and to identify opportunities for improvement. Eight years later, the Town of Windsor and the DDA are partnering to reevaluate parking, taking into account recent community and business growth. Supplementing the 2012 parking study with new 2020 information will provide the Town and its constituents with a document to help guide improvements and overall multi-modal networks downtown to ensure safety and public access.
Having a well-planned and coordinated parking system is vital to the long-term fiscal health of the town and ensures the continued viability of Windsor’s small-town character. Through effective management, research and planning, the town can guide sustainable downtown growth.
The 2020 Downtown Parking Study will:
- Expand on the 2012 parking study and increase the size of the survey area
- Engage business owners, community members and stakeholders through community meetings, surveys and interviews
- Offer suggestions for implementation, as well as, a two-, five- and 10-year outlook for parking conditions and availability
- Provide options to increase accessibility and decrease congestion in downtown
- Research and explore best practice downtown parking management strategies
- Develop strategic parking recommendations
The study includes data compilation, public outreach, data evaluation and drafting parking management solutions. The town hopes to complete the planning process within an approximate nine-month period, with work beginning in March 2020. There will be four public meetings throughout the course of the project to share findings with the public and receive feedback.